Full course description
CAPACITY offers free, self-paced courses designed to help RNs strengthen knowledge and skills to practice to the full scope of license in community-based primary care settings.
In this course, you'll listen to Helen Baker, Assistant Professor at the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing, interview three nurses working in primary care on how they apply and address the social determinants of health in their primary care practices.
Gina Papa, DNP, FNP-BC, is the Clinic Administrator for the Clarkston Community Health Center, a free clinic which serves uninsured individuals at or below 200% of the federal poverty level; many of the patients are also immigrants or refugees in the U.S. Jarene Merritt, BSN, RN, is the acting nurse manager at Mercy Care, a federally qualified health center and Atlanta’s only healthcare for the homeless program. Mercy Care has eight locations around Atlanta. Susan McLendon, DNP, APRN, PHCNS-BC; RNC-AWHC is the Director of Community Wellness at Memorial Health Meadows Hospital in Vidalia, Georgia. Memorial Health Meadows Hospital is the only accredited hospital in Montgomery, Toombs, Treutlen, and Tattnall counties.
These three nurses provide insights on which socials determinants of health that are most prevalent working with their specific patient populations – the uninsured, immigrants and refugees, individuals experiencing homelessness, and individuals living in rural areas.
· Understand how to apply the social determinants of health into primary care nursing practice
· Develop ways in which these social determinants of health can be addressed to improve patient outcomes
- Accreditation Status: Emory Nursing Professional Development Center (ENPDC) is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation.
- Financial Relationships: ENPDC has evaluated everyone who has the ability to control content of this activity (planning committee members, subject matter experts, presenters) and found that no relevant financial relationships exist.
- Awarding Contact Hours: To obtain contact hours participants must
- Review the entire activity
- Complete the evaluation at the end
- Certificates will be distributed at the end of the evaluation.
- Enduring Materials Dates:
- Start Date: 07/20/2022
- Expiration Date: 07/19/2025
Need Help with Registration? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-727-9208.